It is very important for a logo design to be versatile, meaning that it should be able to be used in many different contexts. In order to do this, careful attention must be paid to the selection of the background of the logo as each one comes with its own advantages and drawbacks.
- White background. This is usually considered to be the safest option as it is the most common. It can be used as a strong contrast to many different colours, ensuring legibility for the logo. It also makes the logo easy to place on stationery and other various items. However, since it is a black canvas, it also cannot be used in order to convey any particular feelings or messages.
- Black background. It is considered to be very bold and is effective at making the logo stand out. There is also a sharp contrast between it and the colours of the logo so it gives you a bigger lasting impression than the white background. However, it also makes the logo more difficult to place on items so you will have to have a black basis for your branding.
- Colour background. This is very effective at communicating because you are using it to share the values associated with the particular colour that you are using. However, like the black background, it can be tricky to place on items and will need to become a core signature of your branding. You also need to make sure that the colour you select is capable of imparting the message that you want to your clients.
- Pattern background. It is the most effective when it comes to emphasizing the concept of the logo and it also makes a very strong statement for your brand. But it is also the most problematic when it comes to placing it on items as it can look awkward and cut off in various contexts.
- Transparent background. This type of background can be placed on any kind of items with no problem and it also makes the logo itself stand out. However, like the white background, it cannot be used to convey any particular message and some logos simply do not look good with a transparent background.
A good designer will always provide you with your logo in monochrome and with a transparent background, apart from the normal version. This way you can use variations of the logo for different contexts, depending on which one will look the best. However, it is recommended that you stick to the original version whenever possible in order to strengthen your brand more and make the logo more memorable.