What is important when designing a company logo? It needs to not only let customers see that it is you they are dealing with, but also needs to help in the confidence stakes. You need to consider your brand logo very carefully indeed, for it really is one of the most important aspects of you business, and may have a considerable effect on your success, or otherwise.
Although a logo defines your brand, it is not the actual band itself; a logo is about putting your name about, and about brand recognition, and it must be carefully designed to do so. It is more than just a catchy picture; it is the first thing customers recognize when they think of your company. If you are not sure you are going about your logo design in the right way, here are some things you should NOT do.
- Do not opt to design your own logo; there are professionals who understand the world of logo design, what it requires and what is needed from one and they have experience n the field. You are probably not a designer, so leave it to the experts.
- Some people run competitions to design a company logo; again, it’s a lot of fun, but the winner is unlikely to be a professional logo designer. Your logo will be the central part of your brand identity or the lifetime of your company – it is not a competition, it’s a business, and your livelihood.
- Never resort to using Clip art, it is unprofessional and does not have the required impact. Home-made and poorly thought out logos never have the impact required to successfully portray your business as the professional organization it is. You will also likely end up with a logo that looks like several others; not a great idea.
- Cheap logo designs are everywhere on the Internet, and this may seem like a great way of saving money. However, do you want your company represented by cheap design that doesn’t tell the whole story? Like many areas of life, when it comes to design work, you really do get what you pay for, and cheap will always be cheap.
- Don’t forget to talk to people; professional designers will research the market, looking at rivals and other similar companies, in order to find the trends in colours, fonts and designs that are prevalent in the industry. They will also run tests to see if the logo works, if it conveys the massage required.
When it comes to logo design, leave it to the experts; it makes sense.